3rd Reconnaissance Battalion
3d Marine Division (-) (Rein) FMF
FPO San Francisco 96602
11 Aug 1973
From:   Officer in Charge 
To:       Sgt. B. A. DRAKE, 366 52 **** USMC 
Subj:    Temporary Additional Duty; Orders to 
Ref:      (a)  III MAF LNO mag 100650Z Aug73 
            (b)  FoneCon between 1stSgt MOYER and CNS COVNTS of 8 Aug 1973 
            (c)  Air Force Manual 50-5 
1. In accordance with references (a), and (b), on 12 August 1973 at o630, you are directed to proceed to Clark AFB, Republic of the Philippines. Upon arrival at Clark AFB you are further directed to report to Admin Section at Jungle Survival Training School for the purpose of attending Jungle Survival Training (SEA). 
2. As required by reference (c), it is certified that you possess the required secret security clearance. 
 3. These orders are issued with the understanding that no per diem/travel expenses are authorized. If you do not desire to execute these orders you are directed to return them for cancellation. 

When we received orders to the Philippines as a Mobile Training Team from 3d Recon, we had training and setup to do ourselves. Then, we had a little time to kill. Somehow, 1stSgt. Moyer knew the CMS from the Survival - Escape - Evasion School and we received orders to go. The instructors said they knew of no time Marine Sgt.'s were ever allowed to attend, but I cannot verify that. 
The course was for downed pilots. I can see where it was good for them and there I make no remarks. But, as for 3 Marine Sergeants, recently from ground combat, we just plain had fun. The first 3 days was classroom work. I learned good stuff and did enjoy it. Then we had 2 days of E&E. As we were preparing to go out for this E&E we were told to go to supply and collect our gear. I saw that the gear being issued was food, hammocks, sleeping bags, and a mountain of other gear. We were playing the part of a downed pilot. I went to the instructor and asked if I HAD to take all this stuff. He said I did not, and asked what I wanted. I told him I wanted the bolo knife and a .38. He nixed the gun and said OK on the rest. The other two Marine Sergeants also took only the bolo knife. 
The first day we simply went to a camping spot up in the mountains and had the rest of the day to dig around. We found a very rusty Japanese WWII helmet. I used my knife to cut Philippine mahogany which is rich in water and we had plenty to drink. I don't remember what we ate but do remember it was in season at the time. That evening I slept on the ground to which all the Air Force Officers would say, "I'm not sleeping down there with the snakes and tarantulas". I would always said, "Without someone shooting at me, they make good food." 

The next morning we were taken a few miles away. There were Nagredos (aboriginal Philippinos) living in the area and they participated in the E&E training. We were told we had just been shot down. We each were given 2 white round disk and 1 red round disk. If we were captured, we were to give the Nagredos 1 white disk and hide again. If we were captured a second time, we were to give the second white disk and walk back to the safe area. The Nagredos received 2 pounds of rice for each white disk. If we were injured, we were to call and yell until a negredo arrived and give him the red disk. He would move the world to get us to safety as it was 10 pounds of rice for him when he did. 
Again, this was a fun day for me. I simply went backwards into a thicket and pushed the grass back up after me. Then I took a long drink of water and feel asleep. Later the all clear sound was aired and I walked in. Only two people were not captured at least once. Me and another Recon Marine Sgt. 
 I still thank Major Hutzler and 1stSgt. Moyer for these wonderful memories. 

To see the certificate the Air Force issued us Sgt's, click here. (106K)